Society, Trends and Schooling

ED 5210 Nature of School and Society

Thursday, January 18, 2007






Week Three Topics
Change Management
Schools choice and challenges
Effective teaching Methods
Reactions to reading material
When thinking and writing my educational change proposal, I had the most difficulty with the process section. However the reading, Asking the right questions: A School Change tool kit proved to be an incredible resource that helped clarify writing my process. This resource was a wealth of information for everything you need to know, for anyone who is interested in making positive change in the school at any level. Thinking about the three domains describe, allowed me to better organize my thought in terms of what needs to be carried out. In addition, on Wilson’s Curriculum Pages, there are six steps for devising a plan for change. They are simple and easy to follow and further facilitated the organization of my final project.
In addition, through the readings, a comprehensive list of the different schooling options began to emerge: Public schools, Private school, Charter schools, Magnet schools, Voucher schools and home school options just to mention a few. Each option comes with its own advantages and disadvantage. The information provided concerning Charter schools seemed to make charter schools appears to be a dismal option in comparison to the others. I personally like the thought of home schooling, even though that makes my job less of a demand. On occasion, I have met children that have been home schooled and they tend to be extraordinary individuals. Magnet schools appear to really grasp the student’s interests and engage students in the learning process. The downfall is that enrollment is limited. While trying to bridge the gap of education inequality some how it may contribute to inequality via limited enrollment.
Class Discussion and Activities
The last discussion of our short but sweet class incorporated all the issues that we have been discussing this month in terms of school, schooling, education and society. This discussion was facilitated by presenting our educational change proposal.
Adam’s proposal about schools with in a school sounded interesting yet complex. I was unaware that a few of the local school districts are incorporating this thought into their educational plans. I would like to know more about how it works and how the resources are allocated. Other then student-teacher proximity, I wonder what some of the other benefits would be. I think that there should be some rational to the division, maybe assign students to a particular school after assessing the student and evaluating their interest or learning styles.
Educating Parents was proposed by Jennifer. I believe that education always has a positive affect regardless. However, I believe that this would be a challenge and the ultimate goal should not just be educating the parents about the benefit of their child’s education but also, the benefits of further educating themselves. And contrary to some un-thought-out comments English second language learners, minorities and individuals that live in poverty care just as much, or just as little, about their child’s education as do non-minorities, middle and upper-class parents.
Carlye touched on curricular standards for extracurricular activities. It is hard to know where to draw the line with the contract. I feel as though it is a great idea yet, I don’t believe it should not be applied across the board. Some after school activities that may be considered extracurricular may actually be academic in nature. These activities scaffold a students learning and may bring about positive learning outcomes by fostering motivation. I agree that American youth is diverse with different learning styles, intelligences etc., and that sportsmanship is definitely a quality characteristic, yet I do not feel as though playing ball is academic or a right to our students. Sure your student may love to play ball and relate to it, then refer to it in math, but the reality is that sports are not academic. Our concern should be providing our students with the skills necessary to be productive and participate in a global community.

Applications of course content to future teaching
This past week and throughout the course I have learned as great many things that I plan to bring into my professional career. Just thinking about society and our schools as little societies makes me aware of the multitude of issues effecting our student on a daily bases. Some common issues are poverty, immigration drugs and alcohol, peer pressure and bullying. Multiply that by the fact that no two students are a like, each student learns in their own way via their own intelligence makes me realize that I have my work cut out for me.
I must incorporate, in a caring manner, kindness, understanding, commitment, conventional and non-conventional methods and practices to reach every student in every possible way. My goal is to make them intrinsically engaged, to guide them in their journey, while they acquire the skills they need to be creative and knowledge, life long learners, in life’s journey.

Concluding Statement
The idea, or goal, would be to change school and schooling as we know it. We need to make every school as engaging as the magnet school, with the resources of a private school, and the one on one attention that home schooling provides


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home