Society, Trends and Schooling

ED 5210 Nature of School and Society

Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Wonderful World of Technology
Wiki…nothing to do with Hawaii

Wiki is an online collaborative workplace. You can work in wiki by yourself, with a partner or with the entire world. There are several different wiki hosts. I dabbled with pbwiki.com and wikispaces.com. Although easy, I was at first intimidated by the Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) in which pbwiki.com was edited. My intimidation turned to being intrigue…was I actually understanding all that HTML gibberish? I think so...at least a little bit anyway. Wikispace.com had a bit of a different setup in regards to editing the pages still simply simple. I found that with the wiki loading files was a lot easier and faster then my web host angelfire.com. However, I like the freedom and creativity that angelfire.com allows by creating pages in Microsoft Word and then uploading them via FTP (which I find is not always effective, nor efficient).

I think wiki is a great, fast and efficient, way to create a class homepage with an interactive and collaborative learning environment. Students can post their own web page as well as work with classmates on projects when they are away from school. Students can even create projects with students from other schools around the world.

Wiki is not only for creating and editing but it is for exploration as well. While I was exploring all the benefits of wiki, I discovered a wealth of resources in the form of wiki books. These wiki books cover a wide variety of topics even foreign language. If you are interested in learning Spanish check at: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Spanish .

I created a wiki at: http://www.senoraespanola.wikispances.com
This wiki is dedicated to Spanish language acquisition and cultural enrichment. After I created this wiki, I said to my self…hummm… now what? So I decided to send a link to my good friend in Albany. She, like me, is a Spanish teacher. I encouraged her to use the resources I had posted and to add resources that she would like to share. I guess we will see what happens.

I created another wiki at http://www.baprilfresh.pbwiki.com
You will able to find this post there as well as in my blog.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home